Spicy Korean Chicken Stew (Dakdoritang) is a delicious Korean stew. It is a very spicy chicken stew with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. It’s a Korean favorite comfort food. You got to try it.. its very delicious. Just don’t missed out on the Korean ingredients it ask for and you’re in for a very savory Korean dish. Happy cooking!
Spicy Korean Chicken Stew (Dakdoritang)
- 1/2 kilograms chicken, slice to serving size
- Vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, slice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large bite sized chunks
- 2-3 cups Napa cabbage (or green cabbage or Savoy cabbage) – roughly chopped
- 2 scallions – sliced diagonally
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp rice wine
For the sauce:
- 2.5 tbsp. to 3 tbsp. Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 tbsp. Korean BBQ Blend spice (or any brand BBQ powder)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice wine
- 2 large garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp. honey/sugar
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds, garnish
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and rice wine. Marinate for 30 minutes (or longer). Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the sauce, and stir well. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat an oil over medium-low heat. Sauté onion until soft in texture and fragrant. Add in the chicken and sauté over medium to high heat. Fry until it becomes golden brown for about 5-7 minutes for each side.
- Toss in the carrots and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir well. Add in the broth/stock over in the pan to cover the chicken and add in the potato chunks. Cover pan and let it boil over medium to low heat. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.(Cooking may vary depending on the size of the vegetables and meat)
- Once the vegetables are half cooked tender, remove cover. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Adjust to medium-high and let the sauce reduce on its own until it thickens to your desired consistency. Turn off heat.
- Transfer into a serving dish. Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!!!