Try these fall off the bone goodness of BBQ Spareribs (British Style). These gorgeous BBQ ribs will certainly give you the feeling of the best weekend treat ever. Simply delicious!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
BBQ Spareribs (British Style)
- 1 kilogram pork spare ribs
- 1 bunch of spring onions, roughly chopped (green stems and all)
- For Marinade/Sauce:
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili, seeded and finely chopped (substitute: habanero or red chili peppers)
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 12 tbsp. Appleton rum or any available rum (optional)
- 6 tbsp. demerara sugar (or brown sugar)
- 6 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp. honey
- 6 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp McCormick Allspice*
*Allspice substitution- (for 1 teaspoon of allspice) you can use 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and a pinch of ground nutmeg.
Cooking notes: make another batch of the sauce ingredients above to pour extra sauce for the sizzling plate after grilling.
- Marinade: Place the ribs into a big bowl (don’t use a metal bowl) and toss in the spring onions, chilli and garlic. Massage all the remaining ingredients over the ribs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Get your hands in the bowl and turn the ribs over and over again until they’re coated in the sauce. (You can store the raw ribs – tightly covered – in the fridge for up to 3 days. You may also keep it frozen for a few months if preferred).
- BBQ Grilling: Grill the ribs over a moderate barbecue for 20-30 minutes depending on their size, turning them over constantly and brushing with sauce each time to moisten. The turning and brushing is important, so that all four sides of each rib get encrusted with the sauce, which builds up like a lacquer.
- Make another batch of sauce at the end, heat it up in a pan and pour it over the ribs on sizzling plate just before serving. Serve it with steamed veggies on the side. Enjoy!