Luscious Caramel Custard Cake, it’s the classic recipe. It’s a cake with cremè caramel (leche flan) on top. Also known as Magic flan cake. Who can resist this decadent sweet cake? So delicious. My all time favorite cake! You can bake it (instructions below) or you can steam it.
For Steaming: You can make this Custard Cake whichever way you want. If you’re planning to use a steamer: steam it for 40 minutes or longer over low heat only. Make sure the water is already boiling when you start steaming your cake. Cover your pan with foil on top to prevent water drippings from the steamer. And make sure to steam it for the whole 40 minutes without opening the cover of the steamer pot. Once you reach the steaming time, you can test it in the center with a toothpick if its cooked it should come out clean. If not then continue steaming until the toothpick comes out clean.
You may also try it in cupcake style or even in oval lanera pans. Don’t limit yourself with the size of the pan, especially for first timer.
CARAMEL CUSTARD CAKE
For the Caramel
1 cup granulated sugar
For the Custard:
1 can condensed milk
1 cup fresh milk
¼ cup granulated sugar
For the Cake:
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup milk (fresh milk, evaporated or any milk)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon (lemon rind)
6 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
1½ cups cake flour, sifted
For the Meringue:
6 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup granulated sugar
1. For the caramel: Add sugar in a round pan about 9 x 13 and heat on top of the stove top over medium heat until caramelized. You can use an oven mitt (or fliers) to tilt the pan to even out the caramel sauce on all side. Be careful not to burn your fingers. Turn of heat once it becomes golden brown. Let it cool until it becomes hard caramel.
2. For the custard: Mix milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients until well combined and mixture looks so smooth. Strain the mixture for 3x or more until there is no bubbles and egg lumps. The smoothness of your custard will depend on this stage. Transfer the custard mixture on caramelized baking pan. Set aside.
3. For the cake: In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks. Then add the sugar by batches. Continue beating for about 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add cake flour by small batches alternately adding it with little milk at a time and continuously beating. Scrape down the sides in between beating. Repeat the same procedure until all cake flour and milk are added. Add in your lemon rind once the mixture is so smooth. Set it aside.
5. For the meringue: In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer over high speed and beat the egg whites until texture becomes foamy and airy. Sprinkle the cream of tartar then continue to beat until texture becomes very fluffy (approximately 3 to 4 minutes over high speed). Slowly add the sugar by batches and continue beating until meringue becomes immovable even if you flip the bowl.
6. Gradually add the cake mixture into the meringue and fold in. Do not stir it, but just slowly fold in your meringue. You want to make sure the meringue is still airy and fluffy even after you fold it in with the cake mixture. This is what will make your cake fluffy when cooked.
7. Transfer the mixture over custard mixture in the baking pan.
8. Prepare the Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Prepare a Bain Marie baking:
Pour about 6 to 8 cups of hot water on a roasting pan (with rack) then place the cake pan on top of the rack. Your cake pan should be partially submerge in a tray with water.
10. Bake it for about 60 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center. Do not leave the cake, make sure to watch over. And place it in the center rack of the oven.The smell of what you bake is always a good clue if it’s about to get cooked.
11. Remove cake from the oven, set it aside to let the temperature cool down.
12. Refrigerate for at least an hour first before turning it over. The custard will be firm once chilled inside the refrigerator. And it will be so perfect by the time you turn it over, so don’t be too excited. ?
Serve and enjoy!
You may also try our Ube Leche Flan Cake:
Thank you for dropping by our website!
Do subscribe to our daily recipes by clicking Yes to “ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS” in the pop up Red Bell button.
Do you have any questions about this recipe? Do you have any concern about the ingredients, substitute or any cooking tips? Just comment below for any feedback. We’d love to know your thoughts.
Kindly rate back our recipes if you tried it and you’re satisfied. Thanks a lot for supporting our website.
Photo by @nattygifty26