Cauliflower Cheese Balls (with Aioli Sauce)
Surprising really good appetizer! Best for picky eater kids who doesn’t eat vegetables. Just prepare your favorite garlic aioli dip or you can buy ready made dips in groceries. You may try the bottled salad dressing or in tetra packs for dipping’s. Like sour cream, thousand islands, bleu cheese, and Caesar salad dressings, etc. Happy cooking and enjoy!
Cauliflower Cheese Balls with Aioli Sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk, add a teaspoon milk if needed
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 cup chopped raw cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- For Garlic Aioli Sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic, mash into paste form
- Pinch of salt, adjust as needed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- *Combine all ingredients for Aioli Sauce in small bowl and refrigerate if making ahead.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients to make a thick batter but not like a dough consistency. Just enough to spoon a small ball. Stir in chopped cauliflower, shredded cheese and chopped onions. Mix well until well combined.
- For a good result, it is advise to refrigerate the batter. (It is one of the secrets in making the batter for tempura extra crispy. When hot oil and cold batter collides, it creates a very crispy outcome.)
- In a shallow pot, heat enough oil for deep frying over medium heat. Once oil is hot adjust to low heat and drop a spoonful into hot oil. Deep fry in batches until golden brown and crispy. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- Season with salt immediately upon removing from oil and transfer into a plate line with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve with garlic aioli sauce, garnish with spring onions or any favorite fresh herbs upon serving. Enjoy!!