Sometimes its ok to indulge in one of our special Mediterranean sweet treat recipe. Its a golden layers of pastry, spiced nuts and fragrant syrup flavored with cinnamon, cloves, with orange blossom water and rose water – Armenian Style. Now.. who doesn’t love the swooning moment of biting into a fresh baked baklava? Happy baking and enjoy..
Notes/Frequently Asked Question: Where to buy Phyllo dough? In major groceries frozen section, along the pizza dough sections or Pillsbury products. For Arrowroot cookies: Can be easily found in biscuits area or baby section for Gerber Brand
- 12 oz of chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, or pistachios are the most common favorites)
- 12 pcs. Gerber Arrowroot cookies, crushed finely
- 1 box of phyllo dough (16 oz.), thawed (may take overnight)
- 2 cups of butter, melted
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- extra pistachios, finely grounded (for garnish)
- Brush a 9×13 pan with butter and set the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Roll out the dough and cut the dough in half so the sheets will fit in the pan. Place a damp towel on top of dough to keep moistened and not dry.
- In a food processor, grind nuts until very small, and even out sizes. Combine with sugar, cinnamon and crushed gerber arrowroot cookies (find it in groceries or baby section). In another bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo dough in the pan; brush top sheets with butter and repeat 3 times, total of 8 sheets.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoon mixed walnut and cookies on top of fillo sheets. Place 2 sheets again, brush with butter then sprinkle 3 tablespoon of mixed walnut and cookies. Repeat up to 12 layers.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo again and brush with butter. Repeat for 3x total of 8 sheets.
- Any excess butter, just brush it on top sheets. Slice it before baking: 6 rows x 4 rows, and slice in diagonal to make a total of 48 pieces.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are slightly crisp.
- Make the Syrup: In a saucepan, mix in the sugar, lemon juice, honey, water and thrown in the cinnamon stick. Let it boil, then adjust heat to medium. Just let it simmer for 7 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Pour hot syrup when baklava comes out. Garnish with some finely crushed pistachio nuts if preferred. Serve and enjoy!!
Cooking Notes: You can double the syrup ingredients to make for an extra soak, the more you soak it in syrup the better.
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
Credits Araceli M. Casey