Pancit Batil-Patung is Tuguegarao’s Pride. To say that Tuguegarao City really loves pancit is merely an understatement. Because literally pancit is everywhere in this City. Pancit Batil Patong or Pancit Tuguegarao is made out of pansit miki Tuguegarao, minced carabao meat (water buffalo), bean sprouts and other vegetables topped with egg and chicharon. Batil Patong if directly translated means “beat the egg” for Batil and “placed on top” for Patong and that explains the egg on top. These two combined words are the process on how this iconic pancit is prepared. It is made from pancit miki that is cooked in a simmering carabeef and pork broth. The separate soup which is served together with the pancit in a separate small bowl is made from the broth with a “binatil”/whisked egg. The pancit is then topped/ “pinatungan” with different kind of sautéed vegetables, ground carabeef, crushed chicharon/pork cracklings and a poached egg. Its a fiesta of garnish on top! The weather may be too hot here, but so is the Pancit Batil Patong. Pancit is truly a part of the Filipino culture. It is one of the comfort food that makes us always feel at home, better and happier. Its versatility reflects Filipino’s trait to adapt, adjust and blend in with other races.
PANCIT BATIL PATUNG RECIPE
- 500g Fresh Miki or Hokkien noodles
- 200g pork belly, sliced into small pieces
- 200g carabao beef, minced (alternatively beef)
- 2 cups crushed chicharon,
- 1/4 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup togue (bean sprouts)
- 1 medium carrots, julienned
- 3-4 cups carabeef and pork stocks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Poached eggs, toppings
- Cooking oil
- Calamansi, sliced for garnish
- In a large pan, heat oil and fry minced carabeef until brown over medium to low heat. Season with salt and toss well. Transfer to a bowl and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add pork pieces and let it cook over medium to low heat until color turns golden brown on both side. Push it on the side of the pan. And sauté half of the garlic and onions for about a minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Over high heat, add the fresh noodles, 1 cup of carabeef stock, soy sauce, and gradually stir as the noodles cooks. Keep on stirring slowly adding the remaining carabeef stock and pork stock for about 5 minutes.
- Season it with patis (fish sauce) and add the togue (bean sprouts). Turn off heat and transfer cooked pancit into a large serving platter et bean sprouts cook over the residual heat)
- Add little oil in the same pan, sauté the remaining garlic and onions until fragrant. Add the carrots and let it cook, toss the shredded cabbage and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Season with patis and pepper. Remove from pan and place it on top of noodles. Add the minced carabeef on top of the vegetables.
- Top it with poached egg and crushed Chicharon. Garnish with chopped spring onions if desired. Serve it with slices of Calamansi on the side. Enjoy!