Corndogs are ideal back to school snacks you can make for kids. A healthy snack pack for school. Good business idea for snack corner near school area.
“Cornmeal is a meal (coarse flour) ground from dried maize (corn). It is a common staple food, and is ground to fine, medium, and coarse consistencies, but not as fine as wheat flour. In the United States, very finely ground cornmeal is also referred to as corn flour.” Wikipedia
Where do I buy cornmeal? You can simply make it at home, if you have a blender. Just buy an uncooked popcorn kernels and grind it until in powder form.
Cornmeal can also be bought in baking stores and in online stores for cash on delivery like Lazada and Shopee.
Happy cooking and enjoy!
Servings: 12 pcs
CORNDOGS RECIPE (Filipino Style)
- 1 cup cornmeal* (uncooked corn kernels, grounded finely)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 12 hot dogs (slice in half size)
- 24 wooden skewers (sticks)
- oil, for deep frying
- In a bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and sugar. Pour milk until batter has a pancake type consistency (avoid adding too much milk, because batter will become runny and won’t stay on hot dogs, but if too little milk coating will crack as it cooks). Transfer batter in a tall glass or shallow/narrow container (makipot at malalim). Set aside.
- Pat dry each hot dogs with paper towels. Then roll each hotdog with flour, and skewer with sticks through the center.
- In a shallow pan, heat oil and once hot adjust heat over low. Start dipping skewered hot dogs one by one into the batter to coat evenly.
- Deep fry until golden brown about 2 ½ minutes. Make sure the heat is just at the low to prevent corn dogs from over toasting.
- Let cool and drain excess oil on a plate with paper towel.
- Serve with homemade cheese whiz, ketchup, mustard, tartar sauce or any salad dressing of your favorite.