Ampalaya Guisado (Bittermelon) affordable, healthy and budget meal saver that is good for the whole family. Yes, it can truly help reduce the sugar in our blood, recommended for people with Diabetes. I still remember, when I was pregnant and had a GSD. I ate ampalaya to lower down the sugar in my blood and it did helped me, after I checked with my glucose home meter kit.
Ampalaya Guisado Recipe (Bittermelon)
- 2 pieces Ampalaya, cut in half, seeded and sliced into 1/4″ crosswise
- 2 pieces tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1/4 pound pork, pre-boiled and cubed
- 2 pieces whole eggs, scrambled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1-1/2 cup broth
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for sauteing
- In a pan, sautè the garlic, onion and chopped tomatoes. Toss in the pork and sautè for a minute or 2.
- Add in the sliced ampalaya and season with patis (fish sauce).
- Add in the broth and cover pan to let it boil. Then let it simmer and adjust heat to low for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Season with pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the beaten eggs on top and don’t stir yet. Let it cook for a minute, then stir before turning the heat off.
- This healthy vegetable recipe is best served with steamed rice.