Ampalaya Guisado (Bittermelon) affordable, healthy and budget meal saver for a frugal mom.
Ampalaya Guisado Recipe (Bittermelon)
* 2 pieces Ampalaya, cut in half, seeded and sliced into 1/4″ crosswise
* 2 pieces tomatoes, cut in wedges
* 1/4 pound pork, pre-boiled and cubed
* 2 pieces whole eggs, scrambled
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
* 1 1/2 cup broth
* 1 teaspoon ground pepper
* 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for sauteing
- In a pan, sautè the garlic, onion and chopped tomatoes. Toss in the pork and sautè for a minute or 2.
- Add in the sliced ampalaya and season with patis (fish sauce).
- Add in the broth and cover pan to let it boil. Then let it simmer and adjust heat to low for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Season with pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the beaten eggs on top and don’t stir yet. Let it cook for a minute, then stir before turning the heat off.
- This healthy vegetable recipe is best served with steamed rice.