Why not make your own homemade Rice Cooker Bread Recipe (Any Type of Rice Cooker). Yes it’s true, you can make your own bread using your Philippine made type of rice cooker or any rice cooker. You get to save some money from buying expensive bread outside. Not to mention you are guaranteed its clean and has the freshest ingredients personally picked by yourself. No mixer and no oven needed, and you don’t need an improvised oven. Happy baking!
Preparation & Cooking: 25 minutes
Proofing Time: 3 ½ hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 55 minutes
Rice Cooker Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup +1 tbsp warm milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 ½ tablespoon castor sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 2 ¼ cups bread flour
NOTE: If castor sugar is not available, you can use a blender or food processor and grind the regular sugar to a smaller granules.
- (Milk Mixture):
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except for the flour and salt. Mix and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
- (Make the dough):
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt until well combined. Pour in the milk mixture and whisk it with fork until it becomes a dough.
- (Prepare rice cooker bowl):
- Grease it with butter or oil. Don’t forget to grease the rice cooker bowl so the bread won’t stick on the surface as it cooks except if your rice cooker manual indicates its guaranteed nonstick.
- (Proofing/Let the Dough rise):
- Place the dough into the greased rice cooker bowl and cover with the lid. Do not turn on the power yet. Let it proof for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. The dough should double in size after this time.
- Uncover the bowl and remove the air in the dough by gently punching it down at the center (with a fist). Just make sure the dough doesn’t stick too hard on the bowl after punching it. So you need to unstick it from the bottom of the rice cooker after releasing the air in the dough.
- Place back the rice cooker lid, and let it rest for another 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Start baking your bread in the rice cooker and press down the “cook” button mode. When the cooker button starts click and turn into “warm” mode. That’s perfectly ok. Just use 2 large spoon (wooden spoon or rice spoon) and flip the dough upside down to even out cooking. Usually it will be done after 2x flip over.
- Yes it will cook in the “warm mode” of the rice cooker gradually. So you need to be patient and watch over. You just want a perfect golden brown so flip it over as needed. Once your bread becomes golden brown. Remove it from rice cooker and transfer in a rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
For rice cooker that has a baking function, you can bake it for 50~60 minutes.