Are you looking for an authentic Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe, with a color yellow hue and some small fine strands of red orange herbs? Yes, that’s from the saffron herbs (kasubha in tagalog). It is widely use around the world for its unique aroma and natural food coloring to different recipes. Saffron herbs is available in local market, major groceries. It is sold in small plastics along the isle of herbs and spices like pepper, garlic powder etc. It is quick to sold out, so just watch out for the next restock.
Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe
- 1 kilogram chicken, cut into serving slices
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rice
- 1 liter water (34 ounces)
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large Onions, minced
- 4 pieces hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup Scallions (or green onions), minced
- 2 inch size ginger, peeled and julienned
- 3 tbsp. Safflower (Kasubha)
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 piece chicken broth cube (bouillon)
- 4 pieces Calamansi (upon serving)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- Toasted garlic, garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the cooking oil then sauté garlic, onion, and ginger. Season with some ground black pepper.
- Add the chicken broth cube and stir until the cube is dissolved.
- Add the chicken and slightly cook until color turns golden brown.
- Season with fish sauce (patis) and then add the uncooked rice. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil
- Stir occasionally and simmer until the rice is fully cooked (about 30 to 40 minutes)
- Add the hard boiled eggs, Safflower and Turmeric powder for a yellowish Arroz Caldo color and authentic aroma.
- Serve hot with toasted garlic, minced scallions, and Calamansi. Share and Enjoy!