How to Cook Lomi-Soup
1 package (400 grams) lomi noodles
½ kilograms boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips (shredded)
1/2 cup shrimp or more (cleaned, peeled and deveined)
1 cup chicken liver, cut into cubes
2 medium carrots, (peeled and julienned)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 small napa cabbage(shredded into 1-inch thick strips)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 cups water of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 spring onions (chopped for garnish or topping)
- In a large pot, boil water and add the lomi noodles. (Just enough water to cover the noodles in the pot). Quickly cook the lomi noodles for about 1 minute since lomi is already soft in texture. Using a large strainer drain and wash in running water. Remove excess water and set it aside.
- In a pan, heat an oil and sautè liver over medium heat until cooked through. Transfer in a plate and set it aside.
- In the same pan, heat an oil to sautè garlic and onions until soft and fragrant. Add chicken strips and sautè until golden in color. Add shrimp and sautè quickly until it turns pinkish.
- Season with patis and mix it well until incorporated. Adjust water/broth and let it simmer over low heat until chicken strips are cooked through.
- Add the lomi noodles and continue to simmer for additional 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch with ¼ cup water and add the mixture to the simmering soup. Stir it until soup becomes thick in texture.
- Add in cooked liver, carrots and let it cook for 1 minute more. Then add the napa cabbage and cover pot to semi cooked the cabbage for about a minute or less.
- Gradually add the beaten egg in a very thin stream, let it cook for a few seconds before stirring the soup. This will create a beautiful egg ribbon in soup. Turn off heat and garnish with chopped spring onions upon serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Optional ingredients: Fishball, squidball, fish cake or kikiam
Alternatively, you may also use 1 package (1.4 ounces) crab and corn soup mix to make the soup more savory (discard use of cornstarch slurry if using ready mix, this is already salty and with msg).
Also check out our Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.