These MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES are buttery balls with double coating of powdered sugar inside and outside. It really melts in your mouth and taste oh so good! What a perfect dessert.
Mexicans also calls it Polvorones, traditionally these are given as wedding favors in Mexico.These holiday cookies are also known by other names: Greek Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Pecan Shortbread, basically they are all the same. Served during special festivities like weddings, christenings and Christmas.
But wait, there’s more. Don’t limit this delicious cookies to just pecans. You can add any flavor you want, like matcha, purple yam powder or other types of nuts you love. Happy baking!
MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES RECIPE
- 1 cup (2) sticks butter, softened at room temperature (226.8 grams)
- 1 cup powdered sugar or confectioners sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Line your baking tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 176.66°C or 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat softened butter, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer over medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and pecans gradually in batches over low speed after each addition until well blended.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Place each snowballs 1-1/2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for about 14-15 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are lightly browned. Each oven may vary in heat. You need to watch over your cookies so it doesn’t toast too much.
- Let it cool 5-10 minutes on baking sheets.
- You may use a ziplock bag or containers and add the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Shake the bag or container until cookies are evenly coated.
- Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.
- Serve in individual paper cups. Enjoy!