Pork de pickles or otherwise known sa “Waknatoy ng Marikina” is a delicious Menudo Recipe. It is a pork stewed in tomato sauce and pickles. You can imagine the flavors of tomatoes, liver, chorizo and tangy sweet flavor of pickles bursting in your mouth in one taste. That is why this Pork de Pickles recipe is so famous in Marikina. You have to try it, it’s really yummy.
According to old stories, this favorite menudo variant had become prevalent in Marikina street stalls that when offered to diners, they balked and say “Waknatoy”.
Long ago people in Marikina is used to using “Wak na toy” expressions. During that time, people would always complain and say, “Ito na naman? Wak na ‘toy!” (This dish again? No, not this dish again!). Like “Everlasting” (meatloaf recipe) it is also always on the table of almost every holiday gathering. It is one of their favorite heritage recipes. Note: You can also cook this recipe using chicken breast part if you are not fond of eating Pork meat.
PORK DE PICKLES RECIPE
(Menudo ng Marikina)
1 kilogram pork kasim (1 inch square)
¼ kilogram pork liver, slice in strips
2-3 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 pc chorizo bilbao, sliced diagonally & thinly, fat coating removed
2-3 tbsp cooking oil (may combine with the fat removed from chorizo)
1 head garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 bottle 270g cubed Ram Pickled cucumber/ reserve juice for marinade
1 red and green bell pepper, (cored,quartered and sliced thinly)
2 big potatoes, (peeled, cubed, and fried in small amount of oil)
¼ kilo sausage, sliced diagonally (fried too in small amt of oil)
2 pouch tomato sauce (250 grams)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 pouch tomato catsup (250 grams)
salt and white pepper
1 cup water or stock
some grated cheese
1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
1 bay leaf
1. Marinate pork in pickle juice, 2-3 tbsp light soy sauce, about 1 tbsp rock salt and a dash of white pepper for about 1 hour or longer.
2. Sauté in a wok (kawali) with the oil/fat, sliced chorizo, garlic, onion, marinated pork.
3. Let boil then simmer until meat is cooked and mixture starts to thicken. (This is what they call “sangkutsado”)
4. Add the liver and let it cook for a minute or two.
5. Add sausage, tomato sauce, tomato ketchup, tomato paste and pickles. Toss and turn until sauce are well combined. Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened. It should look oily and sticking in the wok as you toss all the ingredients. (nagmamantika at halos naninikit na sa kawali ang itsura.)
6. Add red bell pepper, bay leaf and the potatoes. Add little amount of water, season with patis to taste. Continue to cook until it becomes very saucy.
7. Add some grated cheese to improve the flavor. Serve hot and enjoy!
Also check out our Beef with Corn and Mushroom:
Credits: Avelina Cruz Santos
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.
Photos in this post are Copyright to Mama’s Guide Recipes. All rights reserved.