Santol season is here! What can we do with extra santol? Why not make some healthy and nutritious Santol Juice!
Allow me to quote the Benefits of Santol Fruit:
“Santol is also called as the cotton fruit and marami itong health benefits.
- Prevents Cancer – Cotton fruit is known to prevent certain types of cancers, specially leukemia, as it is rich in phytonutreints that can prevent the abnormal multiplication of cancerous cells.
- Prevents Cardiovascular Diseases – Due to the presence of rich antioxidants and vitamins, cotton fruit has the ability to improve the blood flow to the heart, thus preventing certain cardiovascular diseases.
- Reduces Cholesterol – Cotton fruit is rich in fibre content, so when consumed, the fibre can course through your body and eliminate then excess cholesterol, thus keeping you healthy.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s – As santol fruit has the ability to nourish your brain cells and slow down cell degeneration, it can prevent certain diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Treats Allergies – As santol fruit contains sandorinic acid and bryonotic acid, it can flush out the allergens from your body, thus preventing and even treating allergic reactions.
- Treats Diarrhea – By boiling a few pieces of cotton fruit, along with vinegar and drinking the obtained juice, conditions like diarrhea can be reduced.
- Prevents Cavities – As santol fruit comes with anti-bacterial properties that can get rid of the bacteria in your mouth, it can prevent cavities and also reduce bad breath.”
HOW TO MAKE SANTOL JUICE
4-6 pcs. santol
3 cups + 2 cups water (1 cup is 8 oz.)
1 ½ cup refined sugar
Tips: use brown sugar or muscovado if preferred; or add honey.
- Peel the santol fruits. Scoop out the seeds and immersed in 1 cup water while peeling santol fruit.
- Chop the peeled santol inner flesh into tiny cubes, soak it in 1 cup water.
- Squeezed out the juice from the soaked seeds. Add it to the minced santol flesh.
- Prepare syrup by boiling 3 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar.
- Pour in the soaked santol water without the flesh. Let it boil and turn of heat. Let it cool.
- Transfer juice into a pitcher and add in the cubed santol flesh. Stir it well. Allow the santol juice to soaked in for a few hours inside the refrigerator.
- Optional: you can squeeze calamansi juice or lime for an added flavor.
- Serve it chilled with ice cubes. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
Credits Jing Castañeda (Santol Benefits)