Healthy Chicken and squash soup is ideal for your picky eater kids. Best for rainy days or cold weather.
No oily chicken soup, this recipe is made to make a healthy soup for the family. Happy cooking and enjoy!
HEALTHY CHICKEN AND SQUASH SOUP
- ¼ slice of squash (Kalabasa)
- ½ kilograms chicken, (legs and breast part)
- 5 cups water (for boiling chicken)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk (powder form is also good)
- Spring onions (Dahon ng Sibuyas na mura)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Boil the chicken: Boil the chicken in a large soup pot with 5 cups of water until tender and cooked. Drain chicken and discard the oily water because it contains chicken fats. Set aside chicken to cool.
- Chop squash into small cubes or pieces, followed by spring onions and onion. Arrange separately on a plate and set it aside.
- Flake the boiled chicken: Remove the bones from the chicken and use the chicken bones for the stock. Set aside the flaked chicken meat.
- To make chicken stock: In a soup pot, add 3 cups of water and add the chicken bones. Let it boil and simmer over medium to low heat.
- To Sauté: Meanwhile, in a wok (kawali), sauté garlic until lightly brown and add in chopped onions. Sauté onions until soft and fragrant. Add in flaked chicken meat and continue to cook for a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in chopped squash, and half of the chopped spring onions. Continue to sauté for a 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Prepare the soup: Using a strainer, remove chicken bones from the boiling broth, and add in the sauteed squash and chicken from the wok. Let it boil and continue to simmer until squash becomes so tender.
- Add in your coconut milk and season with salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Constantly stir and let it simmer for 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Transfer into a soup bowl and garnish with spring onions. Serve and enjoy!