PININYAHANG MANOK NG MARIKEÑO – In Marikina, the oldies traditionally cooks pininyahang manok without using all purpose cream. Whenever there are fiesta or special occasion.
They would marinate chicken in pineapple juice or syrup overnight. They use vienna sausage, milk, potatoes and boiled eggs too.
This is the usual recipe they cook in Calumpang fiesta. Pininyahang Manok the traditional recipe.. nothing beats the heritage recipe. They really taste good!
PININYAHANG MANOK NG MARIKEÑO
Pre-marination Time: 3-8 hrs (overnight)
1 kilogram chicken legs and breasts, chopped bone-in (serving size)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 medium can pineapple chunks, reserve syrup
1 small can pineapple juice
1 red/green bell pepper, strips
1 1/2 cups fresh milk/or 1 can evap milk (370ml)*
2 medium potatoes, sliced in wedges
1 fresh egg
1 cup grated cheese
1 can vienna sausage, sliced diagonally (the old ways, will use chorizo de bilbao)
Patis, salt and pepper, to taste
*adjust milk as needed
1. In a small container with cover, marinate chicken in 1 can pineapple juice with pinch of salt and pepper. (I used recycled ice cream tub). Let it marinate for 3-8 hours/overnight and place inside chiller or refrigerator.
2. In a wok with little oil, fry wedges of potatoes until cooked through. Drain oil and set aside. Followed by frying the vienna sausage or chorizo de bilbao. Set it aside.
3. Use the same wok, heat some oil and sauté garlic, sliced onions until fragrant and onions are soft. Add in the chicken and marinate juice leftover.
4. Bring it to a boil and simmer over low heat; Toss and turn until chicken is tender and all the marinade liquid evaporates. The chicken will turn oily and the sauce is somewhat sticking on the sides of pan.
5. (Sangkutsahing mabuti ang manok.Hayaang nagmamantika at ang sabaw ng pinya ay tuluyang ma-absorb ng manok.)
6. Add in grated cheese, pineapple chunks, some reserved syrup and bell pepper. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
7. Pour in evaporated milk and let it simmer over low heat. Season with patis, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Finish the cooking by breaking one whole egg and beat-in to the mixture. Mix it well.
9. Transfer into serving bowl. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips: Mas matagal mas lalong sumasarap ang pininyahan. Mas maipapayo ko na wag nang lagyan ng patatas, siling pula at dagdag na pinya bits kung hindi naman ihahain agad. Mas masarap din kung ang gagamiting manok ay yung starbro o ung malalaking matigas na manok na napalambot ng husto sa utay-utay na init.
You may also try our:
Credits Avelina Cruz Santos
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.
Photos used in this recipe are © Copyright to Mama’s Guide Recipes