These cupcakes are vampire kissed Black Velvet cupcakes for the coming Halloween party celebrations. Start practicing your black velvet cupcakes today and get more orders for the coming Halloween celebrations.
To make it even more delicious you may add a heapings of Champagne to add flavour. Reminder: Minors are prohibited to use any alcoholic liquor. Happy baking!
BLACK VELVET CUPCAKES
Yield: 12 standard cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (175 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (57 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL)(1/4 oz) soft gel paste colour, black (more if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 g) kosher salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups (150 g) cake flour (aka cake & pastry flour)
- 3 tablespoons (30 g) dark Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (114 mL) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) baking soda
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 12 standard muffin tin or cups and place cupcake liners.
- For the cupcakes: In a stand mixer bowl, mix sugar, butter, oil, black colour, vanilla, and salt at a medium speed. Beat mixture until very light and fluffy for about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and continue to beat over medium speed until just incorporated.
- In another bowl, sift together the cake flour and cocoa powder.
- Gradually add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the mixer and blend it again until just combined. Pour in 1/2 of the buttermilk and continue to beat. Continue to alternate dry ingredients with buttermilk until all used up in the mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and baking soda until dissolved. Pour it into the batter and fold it until incorporated.
- Transfer the batter on the cupcake tins with liner. Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs on the side.
- Once done, remove from oven and set it aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare your frosting and use your favorite piping tips. Make sure that your cupcakes are cooled before frosting it. You don’t want to melt off your frosting if its hot.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!)
- 3½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- soft gel coloring black, adjust to your preference
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter for a few minutes using medium speed. Then turn off beater.
- Add 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixing bowl. Turn on the mixer again at the lowest speed to gradually mix the added ingredients. (You don’t want to mix it at high speed so it doesn’t blow on your face.)
- Continue to beat until the sugar and cocoa are incorporated to the butter.
- Adjust the speed of mixer to medium and then gradually add vanilla extract, salt, and milk/cream. Continue to beat for 3 more minutes.
You may adjust your powdered sugar until you achieved your desired consistency. However if your frosting needs to be thinned out, just add ½ teaspoon of milk at a time. The perfect consistency is that it doesn’t move even if you shake the mixing bowl. Use your best judgement on the thickness.