Our Lola’s Recipe of Chicken Pastel always brings back happy childhood memories. It may be a Chicken Pie to some but to us this Filipino Fiesta Recipe is called Chicken Pastel. This Chicken Pastel is easy but special. It is so creamy, delicious and its not oily at all. Want to know how to cook a creamy Chicken Pastel with an option for Baked Chicken Pot Pie recipe too. (recipe for pot pie cover is below)
Please pardon my green peas, I bought 1 pack frozen green peas and I totally forgot about it. You can imagine how upset I am the moment I remembered my green peas is at the fridge. Nevertheless, its part of the recipe so please don’t forget about it. Happy cooking!
CHICKEN PASTEL RECIPE
- 3 whole chicken breast (2 lb), deboned and skinless, slice into cubes
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 can vienna sausage, slice into ¼ inch
- 1 chorizo bilbao, sliced ¼ inch (optional)
- 1 large can Jolly button mushrooms
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pack all purpose cream
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce* (optional)
- 1 chicken broth cube
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tall can evaporated milk
- 1 green and red bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 small pack frozen green peas
- ½ bar quickmelt cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
*make it 2 tablespoon soy sauce if worcestershire sauce is not available
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and rub it all over. Let it stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, add butter to melt, sauté garlic and onion until it becomes fragrant.
- Once the onions are soft, add the cubed chicken breast and let it brown. Season chicken with dried basil leaves (or bay leaf) soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Stir and toss until sauce is absorbed by the chicken.
- Next, add in chorizo slices, followed by the potatoes and carrots. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Then add in the mushrooms and vienna sausage. Continue tossing around and let it cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Dissolve the chicken broth cube into ½ cup of water and pour the stock into the pan. Let it simmer over medium-low heat until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add in evaporated milk and all purpose cream. Constantly stir the milk to prevent curdle. When it begins to boil, lower heat and keep stirring.
- Add the bell peppers and green peas. Season with salt, pepper to adjust taste as needed and add a teaspoon of sugar. Continue to cook for 5 minutes over low heat possible until sauce becomes thick. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and turn off heat.
- Your Chicken Pastel is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Optional: Or you can transfer it to a baking dish and top with the pastry crust to make a traditional pie covering. This is the authentic way of cooking Chicken Pastel.
For the Pastry Crust:
1 ¼ cup flour
1/4 + 2 T. cold butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon ice cold water
egg wash = 1 egg + 1 tbsp water, beaten
Cut the butter in the flour with salt. Add ice water and stir with a fork. Wrap in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Use a rolling pin, roll it out in between 2 pieces of wax paper until it becomes thin and ready to roll out. Cover the baking dish, brush egg wash on top, cut slits and bake for 12-15 minutes at 200°C
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS WITH PINEAPPLE
Photos in this recipe are © Copyright to Mama’s Guide Recipe.