CALAMANSI-DAYAP BARS is a tangy treat that is luscious with gooey calamansi and dayap filling on a flaky shortbread crust.
CALAMANSI DAYAP BARS
- For the crust:
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
- For the filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated Dayap (Filipino lime) or lime zest
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed Calamansi juice or frozen pure Calamansi juice (Manila Gold recommended), defrost in microwave for 10 seconds
- 1/3 cup milk
- Pinch of salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease the foil/parchment.
- Stir together the flour and powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt (this can be done in a food processor or a large bowl by hand). Add the pieces of butter and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers, taking care not to melt the butter too much. The mixture will resemble coarse meal.
- Sprinkle the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer on the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, and salt in a medium bowl and then stir in the Dayap or lime zest, calamansi juice and milk to combine.
- Pour the filling onto the warm crust (it’s important that the crust is still warm), and reduce the oven temp to 325 degrees F. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the filling feels slightly firm to the touch. Cool the bars to room temperature, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and cut into bars.