CALAMANSI-DAYAP BARS is a tangy treat that is luscious with gooey calamansi and dayap filling on a flaky shortbread crust.
CALAMANSI DAYAP BARS
For the crust:
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), at cool room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces
For the filling:
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons grated dayap (Filipino lime) or lime zest
2/3 cup freshly squeezed calamansi juice or frozen pure calamansi juice (Manila Gold recommended), defrost in microwave for 10 seconds
1/3 cup milk
Pinch of salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
1. Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease the foil/parchment.
2. Stir together the flour and powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt (this can be done in a food processor or a large bowl by hand). Add the pieces of butter and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers, taking care not to melt the butter too much. The mixture will resemble coarse meal.
3. Sprinkle the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer on the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
4. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, and salt in a medium bowl and then stir in the dayap or lime zest, calamansi juice and milk to combine.
5. Pour the filling onto the warm crust (it’s important that the crust is still warm), and reduce the oven temp to 325 degrees F. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the filling feels slightly firm to the touch. Cool the bars to room temperature, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and cut into bars.
Our Holiday and Thanksgiving Recipe Specials:
Thank you for dropping by our website!
Do subscribe to our daily recipes by clicking Yes to “ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS” in the pop up Red Bell button.
You may comment on this post using our Facebook Comment by clicking through links posted on our Facebook page.
Do you have any questions about this recipe? Do you have any concern about the ingredients, substitute or any cooking tips? Just comment below for any feedback. We’d love to know your thoughts.
Kindly rate back our recipes if you tried it and you’re satisfied. Thanks a lot for supporting our website.
Mels Kitchen Cafe
Photo by Kitchen Offerings