This Pineapple Upside Down cake is simply delicious! You can use any round pan, spring form pan, a muffin pan, a loaf pan or a bundt pan. All the same..it taste perfect. I use the reserve pineapple juice from the can to infuse the citrusy flavor. Otherwise, you may substitute with milk for a creamy taste instead. For some of you who doesn’t have an oven. Yes you can steam it, or even cook it in a rice cooker (just be patient, it may take a little longer though). Happy baking!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple rings
- ½ cup pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-rising flour (or substitute below)
- 1 small bottle maraschino cherries
Substitute for 1 cup of self-rising flour:
Add 1½ teaspoons baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
- Preheat oven to 176°C.
- Lightly grease an 8 inch round pan or baking pan with cooking spray or oil. Set aside.
- For the glaze: In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter and 3 tbsp brown sugar until dissolved. Pour over into the greased round pan and spread it evenly on the pan. This will work as a glaze for the pineapple so it doesn’t look pale and dry when turned over.
- Arrange pineapple slices on the bottom of the baking pan. Place each cherries in the pineapple hole and even on the sides.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 6 tbsp softened butter and sugar using electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs one by one as you continue to beat the eggs with the softened butter.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and continue to beat until just combined.
- Fold in the flour alternately with the reserved pineapple juice.
- Transfer the mixture over the pineapple and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Once done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool first before unmolding. This is to make sure that the cake will not chip or will have a perfect shape.
- Run a knife on the side to loosen up and unmold in a large platter. Serve and enjoy!