Bon Chon Style Soy Garlic Wings is fried chicken goodness at its best. These chicken wings are fried twice to get the maximum crispness and tossed in sticky soy garlic glaze. Absolutely yummy!
In Philippines, Bon Chon is also a famous Korean fast food chain that serves Soy Garlic Chicken and Filipinos have also learned to love this chicken recipe.
For Mirin Cooking Wine, you may check it at major supermarket or you may purchase it at Lazada for Cash on delivery (about 339 pesos per bottle). If you can’t buy Mirin, you may easily substitute it with rice vinegar and sugar. (Do not use any other vinegar).
Bon Chon Style Soy Garlic Wings
½ kilograms chicken wings
2 cups cornstarch
For the Soy Garlic Glaze:
¼ small onion, minced or grated
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup mirin*
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch (for slurry)
1-inch ginger, peeled and grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
*Substitute for Mirin: Per 1 tbsp rice vinegar mix in about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
1. DEEP FRY CHICKEN:
Using paper towels, pat dry each chicken wings. Season then dredge each chicken in cornstarch.
2. In a saucepan, heat enough oil and deep fry chicken wings in batches until cooked through. Transfer on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
3. Set aside oil in pan for second re-fry later. Let the chicken cool, dry and dripped excess oil. Set aside.
4. FOR THE SOY GARLIC GLAZE: In another saucepan, combine onion, garlic, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, garlic powder and ginger. Cook over low-medium heat and keep stirring until sugar is totally dissolved.
5. In a small bowl, add cornstarch and 3 tablespoon of the soy-garlic mixture. Mix it well to dissolve. Add it back to the saucepan and mix it well to thicken the sauce.
6. RE-FRY CHICKEN: Reheat the oil and re-fry the chicken quickly in very hot oil. This will make the chicken very crispy just like Bon chon chickens.
7. Drain oil and transfer on a plate line with paper towel. In a large container with cover transfer all the chicken wings and glaze. Cover the container and shake it well to even out glaze
8. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds upon serving. Happy cooking and enjoy!
You may also try our new recipe:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.