These melt-in-your-mouth Snowball truffles is made of white chocolate, shredded coconut flakes and covered in white chocolate shell. Great treat for any festivities and celebration. Totally delicious, quick and easy to make!
Yield: 40-50 pcs
- For Truffles:
- 2½ cups shredded coconut (unsweetened), (puwede rin ang ginayat na niyog, napigaan na or alternatively dessicated coconut)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)
- 4 Tbsp melted unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 40-50 Almonds, toasted (in a 350F oven, for 10 minutes)
- For Coating:
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Melt the Chocolate:
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the melted butter and chocolate chips. Microwave for about 20 secs + 20 secs +10 secs +10 secs +10 secs. Make sure to stir after each time.
- If microwave is not available, you may use a double broiler, heat bowl on top of a pot of boiling water over low heat. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl. As soon as it melts. Remove from heat and stir it well until all melted. It should only take a minute.
- Once the chocolate is mostly melted, immediately remove from heat and stir until the chocolate is smooth. Do not over cook.
- Make the Truffles: Pour in the melted chocolate to the shredded coconut flakes. Quickly mix the shredded coconut with the melted chocolate to avoid clumping
- When the mixture clumps up, quickly heat in the microwave for 10 seconds to slightly loosen the mixture and mix it well.
- Form the Truffles: You may wear disposable gloves to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Using a tablespoon or a small melon baller, scoop the coconut mixture, add an almond in the center and shape it into bite size balls.
- Form a ball and roll it in between your palms until it’s smooth. Then quickly roll in the coconut flakes.
- Remember that once the chocolate starts to harden, the coconut flakes will not stick to the truffles. Just reheat in the microwave for 6 seconds and stir if the coconut mixture becomes too hard to roll.
- For the white chocolate shell: (optional)
- If you want the truffles to have a white chocolate shell, you can dip each candy into melted chocolate.
- Prepare a tray lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and coconut oil by heating in 10-15 secs intervals until the mixture is smooth and thin.
- Toss a couple rolled truffles into the white chocolate, and one by one pick it up using a fork. Let excess chocolate drips before transferring into the lined tray.
- Then give each truffles another coat of melted white chocolate. Dip it into the chocolate again, let drip excess chocolate and drop it into the shredded coconut flakes and roll it until all covered. Transfer into individual paper cups.
Storage and Shelf life:
Keep at room temperature in a closed container up to 4 days or in the fridge up to 2 weeks.