This Inihaw na Liempo sa Sampaloc or Grilled Pork belly in Tamarind Juice is a must try. Its like grilled sinigang pork belly. Absolutely delicious and a gives a unique twist to your grilled pork belly.
INIHAW NA LIEMPO SA SAMPALOC
- 1 kilogram pork belly
- ¼ cup garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tanglad
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 pieces calamansi (juice extract)
- 1 tbsp kecap manis (dark sweet soy sauce,or just use soy sauce and brown sugar)
- ¼ cup Tanduay Rhum
- 2-3 tbsp tamarind water (or 2-3 tsp tamarind sinigang powder mix)
- 2 tbsp oil
Note: If you can’t find kecap manis, you can make your own. Just use soy sauce and brown sugar together.
- Using blender or food processor, blend garlic and tanglad to a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Marinate the sauce to the pork belly dor at least 30 minutes or longer. Then start grilling. Reserve excess sauce and baste it on the pork as you grill.
- Make sure the charcoal are spread out evenly and no fire comes out from the grill. Sprinkle water to diffuse fire. The charcoal should be in minimum heat.
- Keep turning every few seconds to prevent too much toasting and even out cooking.
- To prevent meat from drying out, brush both the meat and the grate with oil before grilling. Happy grilling!