This Japanese Style Cream Stew is colorful and pretty a nice soup for a cold weather or a rainy day. Try it for breakfast paired with your favorite toasted bread or slices of French bread. If you want more ingredients, you may add chop celery rib and some slices of mushrooms. And the Japanese secret ingredients you may prefer to add? It’s the Hokkaido milk, the taste is like no other and you cant find any exact flavor you can substitute for it. That’s really yummy! So if you’re using a Hokkaido Milk, just skip step 4 and its ingredients.
JAPANESE STYLE CREAM STEW RECIPE
- ½ kilograms chicken thigh fillet, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 onion, chopped in 1″ squares
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder and 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a large pan, heat oil and sauté onions until it becomes soft and translucent. Add in chicken pieces and toss until it becomes brownish over medium-high heat.
- Add potato cubes, pour in chicken stock and water. Let it boil and just simmer over low heat.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots into bite-size chunks. Then, add it into the large pan and continue to simmer. The liquid should be exact to cook everything but not too much.
- In another saucepan, cook the Cream Roux: Melt butter over low heat and flour. Stir until it forms a lump. Add in ¼ cup of milk (in partial amount) and whisk until it becomes smooth. Add the rest of the milk gradually, while whisking. Keep stirring and increase the heat until the mixture becomes thick and small bubbles comes out as it simmers. Add grated cheese and stir it well. Turn off heat.
- Add the Cream Roux to the large pan (from step 3), add broccoli, and let it come to a gentle boil, just to cook the broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and transfer into serving bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!