This beef mami soup is just perfect, you can omit the beef broth cube and still taste absolutely beefy. The Worcestershire sauce, springs onions, plenty of white onions, garlic and some dried herbs really made the soup so delicious.
BEEF MAMI SOUP RECIPE
- 1 lb beef brisket
- 6 pieces star anise
- 1 piece beef broth cube (optional)
- 5-7 cups water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 10 cloves minced garlic (1 head)
- 2-3 large white onion, minced
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- 14 ounces (396g) egg noodles/miki, cooked
- 1 bunch Chinese cabbage (or pechay Baguio), chopped
- 2 pieces hard boiled eggs (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted garlic, for toppings
- In a stock pot, heat oil to saute the garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Stir fry the beef brisket and let it cook until the color of the meat turns light brown. Add in Worcestershire sauce and let the meat absorb the flavors.
- Then add the beef broth cube and star anise. Pour water and let it come to a boil.
- Adjust to low and simmer until beef becomes very tender. About 1-2 hours on low heat and 30mins if using a pressure cooker. (If in a hurry, use high heat and it can cook in 1 hour but you may need to add boiling water if water evaporates quickly) . Remove scum that floats on top and discard the star anise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the cooked egg noodles and chopped chinese cabbage into serving bowls.
- Pour the hot soup and beef brisket into the bowl with noodles. Garnish with sliced boiled egg and spring onions and lots of toasted garlic on top. So perfect for the rainy cold weather!
- Serve hot and enjoy!