These English Muffin (Fried) are so good. They are delicious and soft. The secret is avoid kneading too much and build gluten network. Enjoy it with your favorite spread!
English Muffin (Fried)
4 cups + 6tbsp All purpose flour (550g)
2 ½ teaspoon salt (12g)
4.8 teaspoon caster sugar (20g
¼ tsp active dry yeast
4.8 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted (20g)
1.47 cups lukewarm water (350g
Semolina for coating (or any flour)
1. Combine together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the butter to the water and pour into the dry ingredients and stir to mix.
2. Knead the dough on a floured surface, 4 min. It will be sticky and wet. I had to keep flouring my hands. When dough is smooth, rest it on the counter, covered, for 15 min.
3. Divide the soft and nice dough into 80g each to make 12 balls. Use your hand to cup the dough on the counter and roll it in a circular motion so that there won’t be any seams. Then roll the dough into a bag of semolina. I had to lightly mist the dough.
4. Place the dough balls on a semolina dusted tray, then cover or bag with a large plastic bag and let proof at room temp for 2 hrs. If your room is cool, you can leave it for upto 24 hrs. But I put the dough into the fridge for about 9 hours, then took them out and left at room temp to proof until doubled.
5. The original recipe says to fry the muffin dough in clarified butter but I used canola oil instead. Fry 5 min on one side over medium heat, flip over and fry the other side another 5 min. Serve hot and enjoy!
Note: For a slight chewy bite, replace some of the All purpose flour with bread flour.
You may also try this recipe:
Did you try this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes
Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.