How to make Pickled Sayote or Chayote.
This is an easy recipe guide I know back in the olden days. The first recipe we learn in H.E. subject before.
Its an ideal side dish to any fried fish we love just like Atchara. You may also use your favorite vinegar to make it more delicious like Cane Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar (or otherwise use white vinegar). Happy pickling!
Pickled Sayote Recipe
1 kilo chayote, peeled and slice in strips
3 regular size carrots, sliced in flowerette or strips
3 bell pepper, sliced in strips
2 pcs hot pepper, (optional)
2 pcs. ginger, peeled and sliced in strips
1 onion, wedged
2 cloves garlic, sliced in strips
1 tbsp rock salt, (do not use iodized salt)
1 cup vinegar
1 cup refined sugar
Pour vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Pour into the mixed vegetables. Pack and process.
1. For the Vegetables: Wash and cut vegetables into thin strips (not grated).
2. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt except garlic and ginger, let it stand until it becomes watery for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Squeezed the veggies to remove part of the juice (squeezed out the excess juice).
4. Mix all the vegetables including garlic and ginger and pack in a clean dry sterilized glass jars.
5. Pour the hot pickling solution remove air bubbles by inserting a stick or fork in the center, process and seal tightly. It is important to submerge the pickled vegetable and there should be no space for air in the bottle. To prolong shelf life make sure to seal it tightly.
You may also add raisins if you like.
If you want the chayote to be crispy you may add a pinch of alum powder or tawas in the pickling solution. Mix it well and pour it in the vegetables. Let it pickle inside the fridge after 3 days.
Then cook a new batch of pickling solution without alum powder, change the pickling solution in your sayote bottles. Cover it tightly.
Ready to serve! Keep it refrigerated.
You may also try our:
Did you try this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.
Credits: Miguel Carino Galvez