This Filipino Style Chicken Fingers are one of my favorite food, seriously. Crunchy and juicy inside and partner it with your favorite garden salad on the side. This recipe comes with a homemade Thousand Island dressing. Fantastic!
Chicken Fingers Recipe
(with Thousand Island Dressing)
- 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, (substitute below*)
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- oil for frying
Stir 1 tbsp white vinegar + 1 cup evaporated milk. Let stand for 2 minutes until curdled do not stir. If it doesn’t curdle, transfer into a small sauce pan and heat over low heat. It will surely curdle.
- Chicken Breast Preparation:
Using kitchen mullet (hammer), pound the chicken breast to flatten meat. This is an important step, to make the chicken meat quick to fry. If mullet is not available, use a mortar and pestle.
- Slice chicken breast and cut into strips
- Place chicken strips into a large Ziploc plastic bag or container with cover. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk and garlic powder.
- Pour mixture into bag with chicken.
- Seal, and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
- In another ziplock bag/container, mix flour, breadcrumbs, salt and baking powder.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and drain.
- Place chicken in flour mixture bag.
- Seal, and shake to coat.
- Heat enough oil in a large skillet.
- Place coated chicken in hot oil and deep fry for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with thousand island dressing!
Thousand Island Dressing Recipe
Yield: 1 ¼ cup
This dipping sauce/dressing is best prepared in advance so the flavors can meld together and the onions are softer. After a few hours, it will create a more complex flavor in the fridge. For a sweeter dressing, adjust a little more pickle relish.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt