This recipe is an award winning recipe. Even restaurants have adapted this amazing recipe, so I tried it too. Happy cooking!
Where can I buy Gochujang Paste? Go to International section isle of SM supermarket along the shelf of korean noodles. Or buy it online (Lazada/Shopee).
Cooking Notes: Alternatively plum sauce or apple puree, or pear fruit puree.
If oven is not available, you can also just fry it in oil and omit the oven procedure.
Yield: 20 meatballs
KOREAN BBQ MEATBALLS
- 1 pound ground beef (pork, lamb or turkey)
- 3 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (I soaked it in little milk first to soften)
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for frying
- For Glaze:
- ⅓ cup Apricot Jam (or any of: 1/2 cup plum sauce or 1 cup apple puree or 1 cup pear puree)
- 2 tablespoon Gochujang paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Garnish: sliced green onion/spring onions and toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, combine all meatball ingredients except oil. The secret to a good meatballs is not to over do the mixing. Just combine the ingredients together until well distributed. For easy molding, freeze the mixture for about 15-30 minutes until firmer and easy to mold. (but do not let it become frozen or become icy).
- Scoop about half a tablespoon of mixture, and form it into medium ball sized meatballs. In a large pan, heat enough oil (3 cups) over medium-high heat. Fry the meatballs In batches (but don’t overcrowd the pan..), brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Just half-cooked meatballs and transfer it to a baking pan and in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 70°C. If oven is not available, just fry it until cooked through. Drain from oil and set aside.
- For the Glaze: In small saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Let it cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Serving Ideas: To serve, brush meatballs with glaze and sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds.