Tahong or Mussels recipe you can cook for the family. Crispy tahong in tomato sauce! Its a healthy ulam you can try, adapted from Del Monte Kitchenomics. I love it.
1-½ kilograms mussels/tahong
1 tablespoon calamansi juice
½ teaspoon hot sauce
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
¼ cup butter
1 green/red bell pepper, slice in strips
1 pack tomato sauce (250 grams
¼ cup banana ketchup
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Clean tahong with running water and soak it in water. Discard tahong that floats on top of water.
2 Boil tahong in a pot of water until it opens up. Remove shells one by one and set aside. Reserve at least ½ cup of tahong broth.
3. In a bowl, marinate unshelled tahong for 30 minutes in 1 tablespoon of calamansi juice, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
4. For the tahong breading: Dip it in egg, and roll in bread crumbs. Deep-fry until golden brown. Set aside.
5. In a large pan, saute garlic and onions in butter. Add in tomato sauce, banana ketchup and tahong broth. Add ½ tsp hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer for 5 minutes more.
6. Stir in tahong and bell peppers. Simmer until cooked.
You may also try our new recipe:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.