These Half Moon Pies are vegetarian recipe version of Empanadas. It is crispy and delicious pies your kids will surely enjoy!
HALF MOON PIES
For the dough :
3 cups cake flour
1 cup of Milk powder
1 cup of butter
Salt to taste
Dusting: Semolina/or flour
For the fillings:
2 cups of mashed Potatoes
1 cup of grated Cheddar Cheese
1 cup of sweet corn
Fresh Thyme/or dried thyme/or any
For the coating:
1. Pour about ½ a liter of water in a pan. Add 1 tsp of salt followed by the milk powder and melted butter. Add in the eggs and mix everything well.
2. Next put the pan to a boil. When the mixture starts to heat up, add the flour little by little while continuously stirring. Turn off heat and let cool for a while.
3. Transfer dough on a flat surface and knead for about 10 mins by sprinkling some semolina every time you are working the dough.
**It is optional to use semolina instead of flour. You can use flour but then you will find that semolina gives the cakes another texture when you fry them.
4. Divide the dough into equal segments. Get one part of the dough and form into a small ball shape.
5. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough into small round shapes, take one of them and roll it out on a flat surface. Its best to use a shape-cutter, cut the dough into circles.
6. Repeat until you have used up all the dough and set the circles aside to be filled later on.
7. FOR THE FILLING: In a bowl add the mashed potatoes along with the cheese and corns. Combine everything together along with the thyme and reserve.
8. Place one cut circle dough and start by filling it one by one until all is done. Place around 1 teaspoon of the mixture in the center and seal it. Set aside.
9. FOR THE BREADING: Once you’re done folding each pie, crack 1 large egg on a plate in order to start the coating.
10. Place the Moon Pies in the egg and coat evenly followed by the breadcrumbs later on. Repeat until all is done.
11. In a pan add some vegetable oil and heat until medium-hot.
12. Dip your Half Moon Pies one at a time into the pan and stir constantly until golden brown.
13. Remove and let them strain paper towel in order to absorb the excess oil.
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe goes well with:
Credits: auntyn.kitchen and Gloria Flour
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.