A croquette is a bite-size breaded fried food roll. It usually contains ground meat (veal, beef, chicken, or turkey), shellfish, fish, ham, cheese, mashed potatoes or vegetables, and mixed with béchamel or brown sauce.
You can also add soaked white bread, egg, onion, spices and herbs, wine, milk, beer, or some combination. Other recipes will sometime add some fillings, like sautéed onions, mushrooms, or boiled eggs. Wikipedia
This Creamy Chicken Croquette is a simple appetizer or finger food. Ideal for any party or occassion. You may also add some mashed potato in the mixture if you like. Happy cooking!
CREAMY CHICKEN CROQUETTES
1 kilogram chicken breast fillet, boiled and shredded
1-2 stalks Celery (or any dried herbs: basil, thymes, rosemary or bay leaves)
1 white onion, sliced in half
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup Harina
½ cup Butter
2 cups fresh milk
½ cup grated cheese
salt and pepper
1 cup all purpose flour (harina)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
cheddar cheese, cubed (for fillings in the center)
1. Cook Chicken: Boil and cook boneless and skinless chicken breast fillet in a pot of water with celery, onions and salt. if celery is not available you may use any herbs like dahon ng laurel, dried basil or thymes (or any). The herbs will help add flavor to the chicken meat to taste better. Let it cool and shred the chicken meat into fine pieces.
2. Bechamel sauce: In a pan, melt butter over low heat and add the flour. Whisk it together until well combined. Let the flour cooked in butter for a minute or two (it will become lumpy). Add milk, cheese, salt and pepper to taste, continue mixing over low heat until smooth and thick in texture. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
3. Assembly: In a mixing bowl, combine bechamel sauce, shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. The texture should be lumpy and sticky.
4. Breading: Scoop 1 tablespoon of the mixture and add a cheese cube in the center, form it a bit into a ball shape, roll in flour and dip in beaten egg, then roll again in the breadcrumbs. This time, roll it in the center of your palm to get the perfect round shape you want.
Once all the mixtures are formed into medium size balls. Prepare the oil for frying.
5. Deep frying: In a wok or pan, Fry croquettes in batches with enough oil over medium to high heat until golden brown.
6. Transfer each cooked croquettes into a paper lined towels to drain oil.
7. Prepare sour cream or mayo-ketchup for dipping sauce. This is an ideal side dish or appetizer for any occasion.
Happy cooking and enjoy!
You may also try our Holiday Special:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.