This recipe is a simple vegetable guisado with chicken. You may also use a leftover roasted chicken and shred the meat. It will make the recipe more flavourful.
Please take note that the worcestershire sauce is just optional, but it will add more depth in flavor. I even added 1 tbsp rice wine to add more flavor to the recipe. But that’s just me, it’s not required. Happy cooking!
Chicken, Cabbage and Tofu Guisado
½ kilo chicken breast fillet, cubed
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 pcs red bell pepper, julienned
½ cabbage, chopped
2 block tokwa, cubed
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (optional only)
salt and pepper
1 tbsp sugar (optional)
1 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch + cold water (slurry)
1. Heat enough oil and pan fry tokwa or tofu cubes (in non stick pan) until crisp and golden brown. Transfer into a plate. and Set aside.
2.Do the same for chicken fillet cubes until brownish. Drain from oil and set aside.
3. In the same pan, reduce oil and sauté onions and garlic until soft and fragrant.
4. Add the chopped cabbage, bell peppers, and water. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add the cornstarch slurry, season with soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add the chicken, tofu and let it simmer for a few seconds.
7. Cover pan and turn-off heat. Serve and enjoy!