Ayam Geprek is an Indonesian crushed fried chicken with delicious chili paste on top. The chicken is basically crushed upon serving with chili paste toppings.
Serve it with salted egg, fresh slices of cucumber and steamed fried rice on the side for a very delicious Indonesian meal combo.
Although, Geprek is a Javanese language for “crushed” or “smashed”. Ayam geprek is famous in Indonesia and neighbouring countries. It’s origin however was from Yogyakarta in Java.
Ayam Geprek (Indonesian Crushed Fried Chicken)
½ Chicken, slice in big portion
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
4 red onions, chopped
4 Shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, whole
6 red chili pepper, whole
13 pcs thai chiliies, whole
1. Prepare the chicken for breading, season with salt and pepper. Dip it into beaten eggs, let it drip and roll into flour. Do the same until all the chicken parts are breaded.
2. Deep fry chicken in batches, until it becomes golden brown and very crispy.
3. In another pan, deep fry red onions , shallots, garlic , red chili pepper and thai chillies until soft.
4. Use a strainer and drain the ingredients from oil. Mash it together and mix it well. You may use a blender to make it a puree but most people will only mash and mix it together.
5. Serve the chicken by smashing the crispy chicken and top it with the chili paste. Serve it with salted egg, fresh slices of cucumber and steamed fried rice on the side.
Happy ccooking and enjoy!
You may also try our:
Thanks for visiting our website. Don’t forget to check us out daily for more new recipes! Happy cooking and enjoy.