This ham and potato soup is deliciously creamy and very easy to make! This is also best for leftover ham from the holidays. However on regular days, you may buy the sweet ham at the supermarket. Like the CDO sweet ham or King Sue brand.
Cooking notes: Dice the ingredients in small equal sizes for quicker cooking time.
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
8 cups diced potatoes
1 large white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
½ cup chopped celery
2-3 packs sweet ham, cubed
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
¼ cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups all purpose cream (or heavy cream or whole milk)
½ cup sour cream (alternatively plain yogurt)
cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a pan, saute onions and garlic until fragrant.
2 Add potatoes, carrots, celery, ham and saute for a minute or two.
3. Pour in the chicken broth/water. Bring it to a boil and continue to simmer until vegetables are very tender. You make it tender that it almost melts in your mouth.
4. Add the flour, all purpose cream and sour cream and stir everything together.
5. Continue to cook over low heat until soup becomes smooth, thick and creamy.
6. Garnish with grated cheese and spring onions on top. Serve with toasted bread on the side and enjoy!