Do you want to make your own black pearls sago because of the pandemic or quarantine? Napaka dali lang mga mommies! Try this recipe, it’s simple, economical and easy to make. You save more money and you can also use it for your milk tea business or any refreshments for summer. Happy cooking and enjoy!
Where Can I buy Cassava starch or Tapioca Starch? It’s available in all SM supermarkets or any baking supply store in your area.
How to make Black Pearl Sago
2 cups tapioca starch (or cassava starch)
½ cup brown sugar + 4 tbsp sugar
⅔ cups boiling water (157ml)
1. In a kettle, bring water to a boil. Turn off heat and set aside.
2. In mixing bowl, add ⅔ cups boiling water and dissolve ¾ cup brown sugar.
3. Add the tapioca starch gradually and mix it well with a fork until it becomes dough like texture. (The dough will turn brown in color, you’re on the right track. Once cooked, sago will turn blackish or dark brown).
4. Transfer dough into a clean working table. Be careful with a hot dough. Knead until smooth and no longer sticky.
5. Slice the dough into 9 equal parts. Form each part into a log shape dough. Dab it with a touch of water if dry. Slice the logs into small pieces or about ½ inch in size
6. One by one, form it into small equal size balls. Transfer it in a bowl with starch, and let it stand.
7. Do the same steps until all dough becomes a small ball like a pearl sago.
How to Cook it:
1. In a large pot, boil 1 liter of water. (Water should be boiling).
2. Once the water is boiling, slowly add the black pearls into the water. Stir it so it doesn’t stick together.
3. Let it cook for about 30-45 minutes. Turn off heat
4. Let it stand in the pot with lid for 15 minutes.
5. Once cooled, remove the black pearls from the water and rinse in running water.
6. Add 4 tbsp brown sugar and stir it well to prevent pearls from sticking together.