These caramelized chicken wings are spicy and sticky. It’s absolutely tasty when you marinate overnight and bake it on the next day. Don’t worry, you may also fry the chicken wings, if the oven is not available. For the chili sauce, you can buy any bottled sauce in the supermarket (sriracha is good too, if you haven’t tried). Happy cooking!
Marinating Time: 8 hours
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Caramelized Chicken Wings
- 1 kilogram chicken wings
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup patis
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice (alternatively calamansi)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- spring onions
- red chilli pepper, chopped (siling pula)
- In a saucepan, add sugar, water and stir it over medium heat until dissolved.
- Add the chili sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and patis. Simmer over low heat and stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the sauce cool.
- In a bowl with cover, season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce into the chicken wings and marinate for about 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven at 200°C.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Remove the chicken from the sauce (reserve sauce for later) and bake the chicken wings for about 40 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the sauce and simmer over low heat until it bubbles and becomes caramelized for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer over a large bowl. Pour in the caramel sauce and toss in together.
- Arrange in a serving platter and garnish with chopped spring onions and chopped red chili pepper with sour cream dippings. Serve and enjoy!