This Beef Chili con bacon recipe is leveled up Chili Con Carne version. Better and delicious with a twist of crispy bacon bits. Super yummy!
Beef Chili Con Bacon
5 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 rounded tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound ground beef
15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
14 ounce can tomato puree (or tomato sauce)
14 ounce can diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
salt and pepper, to taste
cheddar cheese, grated (garnish)
1. In a medium pan over medium heat, add oil and fry bacon until crispy.
2. Drain oil but leave 1 tablespoon of bacon grease with the bacon.
3. Add the onion, garlic and spices. Let it cook until the onions are soft and browned slightly for about 10 minutes.
4. Adjust heat to medium-high. Add the ground beef and break up the clumps.
5. Continue to cook the beef until browned.
6. Add the beans, tomato puree and diced tomatoes. Let it boil and adjust heat to low and simmer. Cover pan and stir occasionally for about 1 hour.
7. Remove the pan cover and continue to simmer for another 1 hour over low heat, until the sauce becomes thick and dark.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
Serve hot over a bowl of bread with grated cheese on top with toasted bread on the side. Enjoy!