Do you want to try the famous Singaporean Sensational Chicken Rice? Don’t worry, because you don’t need to travel to Singapore to try it. You can easily cook it at home.
You may also cook this using your favorite chicken parts instead of cooking a whole chicken for easier process. Happy cooking and enjoy!
Hainanese Chicken Rice Recipe
1 whole chicken
1 Tbsp rock salt
4 inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled and cut into slices
2 fresh shallots
1 gallon cold water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 stalks of lemongrass
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon rock salt
2 cups rice, rinsed and drained
2 cups reserved chicken poaching broth
Ginger and Chili Sauce
2 Tbsp chopped chillies
2 Tbsp shredded ginger
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp reserved chicken poaching broth.
Soy Dipping Sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
3 Tbsp dark sweet soy sauce
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp reserved chicken poaching broth
1 cucumber, thinly sliced, for serving
some fresh cilantro leaves or scallions, for garnish
- Preparation: Generously rub and season the chicken with salt. Open the chicken cavity and stuff it with slices if shallots, ginger and lemongrass.
- In a large stock pot, place the chicken and pour in with enough cold water to cover the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it boil, then adjust heat to low and simmer. Cover the pot and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat, transfer the covered pot to an ice bath or cold running water to stop the heat process for about 5 minutes. (It will help the chicken to become springy.)
- Reserve poaching broth/stock liquid for later use, discard the ginger and green onions from the cavity.
- Once the chicken is cooled down, transfer into a plate with some liquid dripping over and brush it with sesame oil all over to keep it moist on top.
- In a large pan, heat 4 tablespoons of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Saute garlic, ginger, 2 tbsp broth and salt. Fry until aromatic. Add the rice and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking the rice and transfer it to a rice cooker. Add 2 cups of reserved poaching broth. Steam the rice until cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, carve the chicken for serving.
- Prepare Dipping Sauce and Side Dish:
For the Chili Ginger sauce: combine chillies, sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar and chicken broth in a small bowl and stir to incorporate.
For the Soy Dipping sauce: in a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar and chicken broth, and stir to incorporate.
Serve the sliced chicken with the rice, dipping sauces, sliced cucumbers, and garnish it on top with some fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!