This coconut cream pie recipe is for keeps. Simple yet delicious. This is an old fashioned american pie recipe you can try. Happy baking!
Old Fashion Coconut Cream Pie
- 3 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- salt, pinch
- 9-inch pie shell, baked
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped and sweetened to taste
- Toasted shredded coconut (sapal ng niyog)
- In a bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt. Set side.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks and milk. Stir into flour mixture, blend well.
- Use a double boiler: Transfer mixture into a saucepan and place it on top of a simmering pot of water.
- Cook mixture over hot water until thickened, stirring constantly. Cover, cook 10 minutes longer. It may take some time. So be patient.
- Once thickened, let it cool slightly, add vanilla and stir. Pour into baked pie shell. Let it cool.
- Just before serving, spread with chilled whipped cream over filling and top with toasted coconut flakes.
- Cooking Notes: You may use an icing bag and piping tips to decorate with cream. To toast coconut: Spread shredded coconut in a non stick pan and toast over low heat until brownish.
Makes 1 pie
THIS RECIPE GOES WELL WITH