This Beef Rump Roast is an adapted recipe from an unknown old recipe copy way back 1979. The cooking process in this recipe is old style. I modified the recipe though by adding some rosemary leaves to make it more aromatic in flavor. We all know that rosemary is the best herb partner of any beef recipe. It turned out so good and yummy! Perfectly oven roasted beef.
What is a beef rump? Some of you may probably ask. According to Lambandbeef.com: “Rump roast is a boneless piece of beef, cut from the hindquarter that covers the hip bone. It’s made up of three of the five rump muscles that do little work resulting in a mix of textures and levels of tenderness. Full of flavour, rump roast is succulent and tender when roasted or diced for casseroles.”
Make ahead: 1 day before serving
Cooking Time: 3 hrs
Beef Rump Roast
1.8 kilograms beef rump (whole)
4 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes/ broth cubes
1 cup flour
2 large onions, sliced
1 tbsp dried rosemary leaves, (can use fresh if available)
1. Make a head: (A day before serving) Prepare a roasting pan with a rack and, place the beef rump on top. Roast the meat in the oven without cover at 325°F (or 160°C) for about 1 hour.
2. Let it cool and refrigerate overnight. On the next day, remove roast beef from the pan and slice thinly. Reserve drippings for gravy. Set aside.
3. To make gravy: In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 2 beef bouillon cubes and stir until dissolved. Let it simmer over low heat. Set aside.
4. In another pan, mix flour with drippings, stirring constantly, until brown and thickened. Gradually add this flour mixture into simmering bouillon broth, stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside.
5. Place layer of meat slices in same roasting pan. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place layer of sliced onions over meat, again seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Repeat layering process until all are used. Pour gravy over slices and season with rosemary leaves. Simmer, covered in oven at 170°C (or 350°F) for about 1 ½ hours.
7. Transfer into serving platter and serve with your favorite side dish (fresh vegetable salad, potatoes, green peas or mashed potato). Enjoy!
Makes 10 servings
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.