This Braised Beef in Bugnay wine is amazing! The taste is very light and fruity. It’s not sweet but there’s a subtle taste of berry in the sauce, not even a hint that there is a wine. It turned out so yummy and tasty. Three thumbs up!
Bignay wine, a. k. a. bugnay wine, is a Filipino fruit wine made from the berries of the native bignay tree (Queensland-cherry, salamander-tree, wild cherry, and currant tree). It is deep red in color and is slightly sweet with a fruity fragrance.
The bugnay wine I used, is a pasalubong from Cagayan given by my Father in law when he went home in the province. So I thought of infusing it with my braised beef today.
Upon braising the beef with the wine, your kitchen will smell like red wine all over but it will eventually evaporate as it boils. Its yummy specially when the beef is so tender. Happy cooking!
BRAISED BEEF IN BUGNAY WINE
1.2 kilograms beef chunks (mechado cut)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 red onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
6 tbsp of tomato paste
½ cup bugnay wine of Ilocos, or any fruity red wine
⅓ cup flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tbsp dried rosemary (optional)
2 large carrots, chopped
3-4 tbsp olive oil (or cooking oil)
Salt and pepper
spring onions, chopped (optional)
1.2 liter water
1. Dredge beef in flour and shake to remove excess. Heat a pan with oil, saute half of onions and fry beef cubes in batches. Fry until crisp and brown on the sides. Drain from oil and set aside.
2. Transfer the beef in a large pot, season with salt and pepper. Add the bugnay wine and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
3. Pour in about 1.2 liter water and add tomato paste, garlic and remaining onions. (add enough water to braise the meat for 2 hours.) Season with pepper and dried rosemary leaves. Adjust with hot water if necessary if the sauce is too dry.
4. Cover pot, bring to a boil and just let it simmer for about 2 hours. Don’t forget to occasionally stir the sauce to prevent scorch at the bottom. Always check it from time to time.
5. Once the beef is tender, season it with paprika and add carrots. Let it cook for about 8-10 minutes.
6. Lastly, add the bell pepper chunks to add more flavor. Garnish with chopped spring onions upon serving. Enjoy!
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
Photos posted in this post are Copyright to Mama’s Guide Recipes. All Rights Reserved.