Homemade meals are simply the best for our family, why not try our Pepper Steak Beef recipe today. These thin slices of pan seared breakfast steak beef, poured with white sauce on top and garnished with corn & carrots is so perfect! This absolutely a great meal you can prepare for any weekend special.
Cooking Tips: This recipe may need an overnight make-ahead plan for marination and pan searing. Cooking the beef one by one on a grill/pan/electric grill pan may take an hour. Also, pounding the beef can easily tenderize it and allows you to cook it evenly.
Marination: 30 minutes Cooking time: 2 hours Total Time: 2 ½ hours
Pepper Steak Beef Recipe
1 kilo Beef (Breakfast steak /Sirloin), thinly sliced
Marinade: ½ cup soy sauce 4 tbsp sugar ¼ cup sesame oil ½ cup sprite (lemon soda) 2-inch ginger, grated 3 cloves garlic, crushed 2 tablespoon pepper powder salt, to taste
White Sauce: 4 tbsp Butter 6 tbsp Flour 1 Large Evaporated Milk (370ml) 1 pack All purpose cream (250ml) ¼ cup cold water
Buttered Corn & Carrots: 2 large can corn kernel (250g/can), drained 2 cup carrots, cubed (I used frozen bag of carrots, freezer section) 4 tbsp butter
1. Preparation: Use a medium container with cover, (I used recycled ice cream container). Add all marinade ingredients and mix well. Then, add the thin slices of beef and toss it together. Let it marinade for 30 minutes or longer.
2. Using a strainer, drain the beef from marinade and let it drip excess liquid.
3. Cook the beef: In a non stick pan with little oil, grill the beef in batches (2-3 pcs at a time). Sear it one by one on both sides until it becomes tender and crisp for about 3-5 minutes. Pan should sizzle loudly as it cooks.
Notes: If you add all the beef into the pan all at the same time, the beef will juice too much liquid and oil. Don’t let the beef stew in its own juice and oil. Just grill it one at a time.
4. Once all the beef is cooked through, season it with pepper. Arrange it on a serving plater and set it aside.
5. Prepare the bechamel sauce : In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and mix it well until it becomes lumpy. Add 1 can evaporated milk and just let it simmer over low heat for just a minute or two. Once the milk starts to simmer, remove from heat right away (Turn off heat).
6. Add all purpose cream to the milk, (use a whisker or fork) and whisk it fast until smooth and no lumps. Please note that the sauce will thicken as it cools down, you can add ¼ cup cold water (little by little) to adjust the thickness of your sauce. Season it with salt and a pinch of sugar to taste and do some final whisk. Set aside.
7. Prepare Corn & Carrots: In a pan, melt butter and add carrots (thawed). Toss it and let the carrots cook. Then, add the corn kernels. Toss it together for about 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
8. Assemble: Pour the sauce on top of the beef and add 1 cup of buttered corn and carrots on top. Serve and enjoy!
Cooking Notes: Best to serve on a hot sizzling plate with melted butter. Place extra corn and carrots and sauce on separate bowls for extra side dish servings on the table. Happy cooking!