Enjoy this rich creamy homemade custard ice cream at your home. This is so easy to make and it doesn’t need any ice cream maker. All you need is a hand mixer (alternatively a food processor or a blender) whichever is available for you to use.
For this recipe, I used whipped cream, but you can surely use heavy cream or all purpose cream as a substitute. It will be the same no matter which cream you use.
One of your main ingredients will be the custard powder, which you can buy at any baking store near you or buy it online at Lazada or Shopee. Happy cooking!
Custard Ice Cream
¼ cup custard powder
¾ cup sugar
1 liter milk (4 cups)
1 cup whipped cream, chilled (or all purpose cream)
1. In a bowl, add custard powder with ½ cup of milk and stir well to form a smooth custard powder mixture. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat the remaining milk, add the sugar and the custard powder mixture.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil. It will take 3-4 minutes on medium flame. The mixture will thicken considerably. Once the mixture starts to boil, remove it from heat. Let the custard cool completely and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, start whipping the chilled cream until it becomes double in volume or soft peak for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Add custard mixture and beat them well together. Cover and freeze the mixture for 3-4 hours until it’s half set.
6. Remove the ice cream mixture from the freezer and beat it again well for 2 minutes.
7. Transfer the ice cream in an air-tight container and freeze it again for 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
Serve and enjoy!
Cooking Notes: Beating the ice cream twice before it becomes fully chilled, will help make it super smooth in texture. Make sure to chill it overnight in an air-tight container, preventing any air inside the container will prevent ice crystals too.