Callebaut Pailleté Feuilletine are tiny bits of crunchy, caramel light biscuits that adds crunch to any dessert. A wonderful garnish/sprinkle ingredient to texturise pastry cake interiors and confectionery fillings.
Usually only seen in professional pastry kitchens and used by many french pâtissier. Feuilletine is one of the secret ingredients of the famous french dessert “Opera Cake“.
Feuilletine’s is also known as” pailleté feuilletine”. It means leaf-like flakes, a suitable name for these crispy, brittle flakes with caramelized, praline flavours.
Feuilletine flakes have a light, crispy texture which works wonders in pâtisserie. Specifically, feuilletine has a harmony with chocolate since the flakes can be coated in chocolate and wont turn soggy at all. This means they can retain their crisp adding contrast to layered cakes known as ‘entremets.”
Do take note though, not to use Feuilletine in creams, dairy or any liquid base ingredients, or it will turn really soggy. However, you can garnish it in mousses, desserts and ice cream, but serve it right away. Feuilletine is best used in combination with chocolate or nut pastes, ganache, chocolate spread and still remains crispy in texture.
Pailleté Feuilletine Flakes Recipe
INGREDIENTS: ¼ cup Egg White ¼ cup Powdered Sugar/Confectioners Sugar ¼ cup All Purpose Flour ¼ cup Melted Butter
INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 160°C and line a pan with parchment paper.
2. Measure the ingredients and make sure that each amount are equal.
3. In a bowl, add powdered sugar, flour and whisk it together. Add egg white and whisk it well until well combined. Add melted butter and whisk it again until smooth.
4. Transfer the batter in the lined pan and spread out as thinly as possible. Brush it across the pan equally and as thin as a crepe so when you bake it, it becomes thin crackers and easy to break.
5. Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes. You need to watch out, once it becomes golden brown, turn off the oven and remove. Let it cool and start breaking it into small pieces. Your feuilletine is ready to use to any of your pastries and cake.
6. Store it in airtight containers and it can last for weeks.