This Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu is so delicious and cheesy! The chicken breast fillet was spiced up with cajun seasoning. It tasted like smoky barbeque, garlicky and peppery chicken. Then, topped with ham, slices of cheese and a sauce. Yummy!
Serving Suggestion: This recipe really goes well with spaghetti, toasted garlic bread on the side and fresh garden salad to balance the cheesy chicken recipe. It’s perfect. Happy cooking!
Note:I bought my Tesco Cajun Seasoning at SM supermarket, but you may also purchase it online at Lazada or Shopee.
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
INGREDIENTS: 5 large chicken breasts fillet 2 tablespoon tesco cajun seasoning (alternatively any of your favorite seasoning, or chicken seasoning) 5 slices ham, cut in half lengthwise 5 slices eden cheese singles, cut in half lengthwise ½ cup grated cheese (any processed cheese like Quezo) 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
For the Cream Cheese Sauce: 1 bar (8 oz.) Magnolia cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened at room temperature ¼ cup chicken broth (I dissolved 1 Knorr broth cube in a cup of water) ½ cup sour cream (or use plain yogurt) ¼ cup mayo 2 teaspoon sugar ½ cup Parmesan cheese powder (or any grated cheese you like)
INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Brush the pan with oil, and line it with baking paper. Grease it again on top so the chicken won’t stick on the paper.
2. Slice the cream cheese into small cubes and transfer in a medium bowl. Let it soften at room temperature. Also, prepare to slice the ham and cheese in lengthwise. Set it aside
3. Using a mullet (or pestle), pound the chicken fillet with a plastic on top, to flatten out meat. This is important, for easy cooking of the meat.
4. Slice each butterfly-shape breast in half lengthwise so each one makes two thin chicken fillet. Sprinkle cajun seasoning, salt and rub it well into the chicken to absorb the flavor.
5. In a non stick pan, grease with little oil, pan grill each chicken fillet for about 2-3 minutes. I pan grilled it 2 pcs at a time until brownish on both side. (If you try to fry it in 1 batch it will produce lots of liquid and will become boiled chicken instead).
6. Transfer cooked chicken into paper towels, and make sure to drain all excess liquid or use a strainer.
7. Transfer and arrange the chicken pieces in the baking pan. Place ham and cheese on top of each chicken fillet. Set it aside.
8. Make the Cream Cheese Sauce: Take the bowl of cream cheese and add ¼ cup hot chicken broth. Whisk it well to let all the cream cheese melt and incorporate with the broth. Then add in sour cream, mayo, sugar and parmesan cheese. Whisk it until smooth in texture.
9. Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken. Bake it for about 30-40 minutes, or just until the top is perfectly brown. Baking time will always vary per oven.
Baking tips: You may need to switch the pan from lower oven to higher level of oven to control how it bakes. Don’t just leave it in the oven as it bakes to prevent over toasting or burnt look.
10. Once done, take it out from the oven, and sprinkle grated cheese on top while its very hot. The cheese will melt perfectly from the chicken’s residual heat. Happy cooking and enjoy!