If you have tons of Kamias in the backyard, don’t just let it go to waste. Its time to make your pickled or burong kamias that can last up to months if properly stored and bottled. This burong kamias is a perfect side dish in any of your fried fish menu.
¼ kilogram kamias/Bilimbi Fruit
4 ½ to 5 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Salt to taste (not too much though)
1-2 chili peppers, sliced (if you want it a bit spicy)
1 ½ – 2 cups water
1 large bottle or any airtight containers (sterilized)
1. Slice kamias to your preferred shape. (diagonally or round shape or just slice the crown)
2. In a bowl, add salt to the kamias. The amount of salt is around 1½ of tablespoon (not heaping tablespoon)
3. Let it sit for 2 hours. Kamias juice will come out.
4. After two hours, wash the kamias. Soak it in water for a while so that it won’t be too salty.
5. Arrange kamias in prepared bottle with cover, pour in 2 cups water, add white vinegar, sugar and chopped chillies if you want a kick of spice. Mix well.
Note: Make sure that the kamias are fully submerge in the mixture to prevent air from spoiling it.
6. Seal the bottle tightly and no air should infiltrate the bottle. Keep it in the fridge overnight to let it pickle further before eating. The longer it sits the better it will taste.