Even without a torch, I have an easy alternative to melt the sugar on top too! Read and follow this recipe to learn more..
This Creme brulee recipe is silky, creamy custard, topped with a thin, crackly layer of caramel. Its very subtle and sophisticated in taste and it looks elegant because of the amber caramel on top! – this is simply the real thing. Yummy!
Creme Brulee Recipe
4 cups heavy cream (Anchor, Arla, or Emborg, Ever Whip, Elle & Vire brand)
¾ cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract/flavoring
7 large egg yolks
¼ teaspoon salt
For Caramel Toppings:
¾ cup sugar
Ramekin Cups/heat proof cups
1. Preheat oven to 150°C
2. Prepare Baine Marie: Place eight 5-ounce ramekin cups in a large roasting pan and pour in boiling water. (for baine marie)
3. In a saucepan, heat cream and sugar (¼ cup sugar + 2tbsp) over low heat. Add vanilla flavoring. Heat over medium-low heat just until mixture starts to bubble around the edge of the pan, 7 to 8 minutes (but don’t let it come to a boil).
4. While waiting for the cream, whisk the egg yolks plus the remaining sugar and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl.
5. Once the cream is just hot, add a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the whisked egg yolks. Whisk to combine. (This cooking process is tempering, it prevents the eggs from curdling).
6. Continue to do the same and add another batch of hot cream in small batches. Continue to whisk the mixture.
7. Then, strain the mixture using a finer sieve to remove bits of egg lumps. Pour the custard mixture equally into prepared ramekins.
8. Bake it in the oven with hot water bath. Place the ramekins on a baking pan with boiling water halfway on the side of the ramekins.
9. Bake for about 30-40 mins or just until custards are set, it will jiggle slightly in the center.
10. Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool on the rack. Be careful with the ramekins, use a thick pot holder or thong to carefully remove it from pan.
11. Once cool, you can transfer in the fridge to let it set. Cover the top with plastic wrap to prevent water drippings or moist.
12. Do the caramelized top upon serving.
Sprinkle 1 ½ tbsp sugar on each ramekins and melt it on top. There are two ways to melt the sugar on top.
13. (a) Broil it on the highest level of the oven, so the sugar will be toasted. It shouldn’t take long. Remove it quickly as soon the sugar melts.
14. (b) Use Torch to burn the sugar on top about 2 inches on top using a swirling movement of torch. Melt the sugar until it turns golden amber in shade.
Serve it cold and enjoy!