Cook and taste the delicious “Sinigang na Hipon” version from Baliuag, Bulacan. This soup is soured by santol fruit and cooked with veggies like cucumber, raddish and lady finger. Tara na at humigop ng masarap na sabaw! Happy cooking! Credits to JudgeFloro of Bulacan for this recipe.
Sinigang na Hipon ng Baliuag, Bulacan
1 kilo sugpo/hipon, cleaned and trimmed
2 onions, quartered
3 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 medium labanos, peeled and sliced
3 small pipino (cucumber), peeled and sliced
4 pcs fresh santol, peeled
3 pcs okra, trimmed ends
2 siling haba (long green chili)
patis, to taste (fish sauce)
pepper, to taste
1. In a large kawali, add the water, peeled santol and bring it to a boil. Let the santol extract all the sourness into the water. Smashed and removed from the soup.
2. Add labanos, okra, onions and tomatoes and cook until texture becomes soft.
3. Add the shrimps and fish sauce and let it simmer.
4. Add the slices of pipino and continue to simmer. Add siling haba and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper (adjust taste as needed). Turn off heat and cover the kawali. Let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!