Soondubu Jjigae or also known as Korean Tofu Soup, is a spicy soup made with seafood mix and soft tofu (silken tofu).
Soft tofu is not the same with the regular tofu we all know. The soft tofu is more smoother and finer than the hard tofu. It is as smooth as the taho we love to drink in the morning. In fact, soft tofu can also be used to make Filipino Taho.
WHERE TO BUY SOFT TOFU/SILKEN TOFU (Silken Tofu Instant Powder)? In the Philippines, major supermarket (chilled section), Lazada, Shopee, Facebook Market – LalaMove, Korean shops, Asian supermarket, online store etc.
For the seafood mix, if you’re feeling lavish you can buy frozen seafood mix in the grocery/Lazada. But if you want to stay within your budget, the easy way is to use fresh clams/mussels and shrimp. Or use any combo that is feasible for you, like fish fillet, fish cake, crabstick, squid balls etc. You only need a cup or two of the mixed seafood combo.
Korean Tofu Soup Recipe
1 cup assorted seafood mix, sliced into small pieces (any combo, cream dory, scallops, clams, whole mussels, squid rings, crabstick, and shrimps)
2 tbsp gochugaru powder, (Sub: 1 tbsp gochujang paste, or red chili pepper powder)
2 cups soft tofu, sliced in cubes (about 400g)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ white onion
½ cup kimchi, sliced in bite pieces
1 large spring onion
1 ¼ cups stock/water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (or soy sauce)
1 tbsp fish sauce (adjust as needed if using gochujang paste because its already salty).
2 tbsp sesame oil
¼ cup Spring onions, chopped
Optional: cheese single or 1 fresh egg
1. In medium pot, (or traditional clay pots in Korean) sauté sesame oil, gochugaru powder garlic and onions over medium-low heat until fragrant (about 2-3 minutes).
2. Add ½ cup kimchi and continue to saute with the onions.
3. Pour stock/water, season with 1 tablespoon light soy sauce and mix it well.
4. Bring the stock to a boil over medium to high heat.
5. Then add your choice of assorted seafood and let it continue to boil for about 2-3 minutes to cook the seafood.
6. Then, add the soft tofu cubes. Continue to simmer the soup over low heat and let flavors meld together.
7. Adjust taste by adding fish sauce or salt as needed.
8. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions. Add slices of single cheese or cracked 1 fresh egg. Simmer for an additional minute to cook the egg. Turn off heat.
Serve hot and enjoy!